Geoff Provest MP
100% for Tweed
Event organisers in Tweed are being encouraged to apply for grants under the NSW Government’s 2018 Flagship Event Fund, with expressions of interest now open.
Member for Tweed, Geoff Provest said the Fund will offer successful applicants a one-off annual grant of $20,000 or a triennial grant of $27,500 per year for three years.
“I am delighted to announce that expressions of interest for the 2018 Flagship Event Fund are now open, providing events that have been running for more than two years with funding support for marketing activities aimed at driving overnight visitation,” Mr Provest said.
“Our communities have so many wonderful stories to tell and events not only help boost our local economies but take visitors on an incredible journey, whether it’s showcasing our fantastic producers, artists, craftspeople, sportspeople or musicians.”
NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall said the Fund, which is managed by the State’s tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW, is part of the Government’s record spend in rural and regional tourism.
“The NSW Government has committed $43 million over four years to attract more visitors to experience our wonderful rural and regional destinations and events,” Mr Marshall said.
“This Fund is part of our record investment in growing tourism across the State and represents rural and regional NSW at its best with local communities coming together to stage events, which are often a great reflection of the region’s unique character and culture.”
Expressions of Interest for the 2018 Flagship Event Fund are open until COB Friday 1 September 2017 and applicants whose expressions of interest sufficiently meet the criteria will be invited to submit a full application in October.
For further information on the 2018 Flagship Event Fund and to lodge an expression of interest visit http://www.destinationnsw.com.au/rfep
Member for Tweed, Geoff Provest today announced nominations are open for the NSW Carers Awards.
The NSW Carers Awards aims to recognise and raise awareness of the valuable contribution unpaid carers make to the people they care for and the wider community.
“This is a great way to thank and acknowledge the significant contributions carers make to the Tweed community,” Mr Provest said.
“I encourage anyone who knows a dedicated carer in the Tweed area to put fourth their nomination so their extraordinary contribution can be celebrated.”
Organisations, employers and education providers who demonstrate best practice in supporting carers can also be nominated for an Award.
The 2017 NSW Carers Awards will coincide with this year’s Carers Week, which will run from 15 – 21 October 2017.
“There are approximately 905,000 carers in NSW, who provide unconditional support for those in their care on a daily basis,” Mr Provest said.
“This is a great opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate the significant contributions of carers across NSW.”
Up to 10 awards will be presented during the award ceremony, including the 2017 NSW Carer of the Year.
To nominate a carer go to careforacarer.nsw.gov.au. Entries close on 31 August 2017.
Member for Tweed Geoff Provest is encouraging the community to stay connected with loved ones as part of this year’s Missing Persons Week.
National Missing Persons Week 2017 runs from 30 July – 5 August and aims to raise awareness of the issues and impacts surrounding missing persons in Australia.
This year’s theme is: “Still Waiting For You To Come Home”. Mr Provest said nearly half of the persons reported missing in NSW last year are under 18.
“There were more than 5,000 reports about missing children in 2016 alone,” Mr Provest said.
“The stress of a missing loved one and living with the unknown has a huge impact on friends and family members. It can affect everything from their health and wellbeing, to work responsibilities, and of course is very emotionally tiring,” Mr Provest said.
“Anyone who is struggling in any way because someone in their life is missing should not hesitate to reach out for support.
“If you have concerns or information about a missing person I urge you to follow your instincts and contact the police.”
Minister for Police Troy Grant said Missing Persons Week is also a reminder of the tireless work of emergency services personnel investigating these cases in an effort to provide answers and reunite families.
“I want the community to remember there is no minimum time frame to wait before contacting NSW Police with a missing persons report,” Mr Grant said.
“If you have fears for the welfare of anyone please don’t hesitate to contact the police as all information can be crucial to an investigation. Even the smallest piece of information could help.
“Take a moment to think of those people in our community who live in hope every single day that they’ll be reunited with a loved one.”
For more information on National Missing Persons Week go to: www.missingpersons.gov.au To find out more about the Families and Friends of Missing Persons Unit go to www.missingpersons.justice.nsw.gov.au
The NSW Government has secured a two-year deal with one of Australia’s biggest energy suppliers, creating savings of up to 25 per cent for seniors in Tweed on their gas and electricity usage charges.
Minister for Ageing Tanya Davies recently announced the renewed commitment from energy retailer AGL, which will begin offering new discounts to NSW Seniors Card members from July 1.
Member for Tweed Geoff Provest said the NSW Government had been working hard to secure these competitive discounts for seniors in Tweed.
“Older people have worked hard all their lives and given so much to their communities, so I am both thrilled and proud to be able to deliver the renewal of a partnership that eases the cost of living pressures for them,” Mr Provest said.
From 1 July, AGL will offer Seniors Card members a 25 per cent guaranteed discount off electricity usage and 19 per cent guaranteed discount off gas usage charges on a two year energy plan.
“Given we are now well and truly into winter, the timing of this renewal could not be better. We know every dollar counts for seniors,” Mr Provest said.
More than 1.5 million older people in NSW have a Seniors Card. More than 5600 businesses now offer Seniors Card discounts, up from 1600 in January 2015.
For more information on the Seniors Card, visit www.seniorscard.nsw.gov.au
To contact AGL or to sign up, call 13 12 45 or visit www.agl.com.au .
Member for Tweed Geoff Provest has announced Surf Life Saving Clubs across Tweed can now apply for funding for infrastructure improvements as part of the $4 million state-wide boost to surf club facilities funding.
Mr Provest said Surf Life Saving Clubs across NSW are set to benefit from record funding from this year’s budget which will improve facilities which help save the lives of locals, visitors and tourists. “Surf lifesaving clubs are home base for our tens of thousands of volunteer lifesavers patrolling our beaches, allowing all age groups to learn about and contribute to water safety,” Mr Provest said.
“We rely on the skill and passion of volunteer surf lifesavers to provide this service and this vital injection of funding will ensure lifesavers have the support they need to do their important work through improving the standard and quality of surf lifesaving clubs in NSW.”
Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres said more than $24 million in funding had been allocated in the past decade to make rescue facilities across NSW more safe, accessible and secure.
“Not just an important home base for volunteers patrolling our beaches, surf clubs are hive of community activity, used for training courses, community gatherings and sporting events,” Mr Ayres said.
“From nippers to senior patrollers, members of Surf Life Saving clubs provide an amazing service to the people of NSW.
“This $4 million boost will offer significant surf clubs across NSW and this financial year surf clubs who had previously already reached the maximum cap of $400,000 will be re-eligible for facility funding.”
In 2016/17 volunteer surf lifesavers performed almost 5,000 rescues, 126,000 preventative actions and 15,750 first aid treatments.
Member for Tweed, Geoff Provest is urging community preschools and mobile preschools in Tweed to apply for a grant to expand the number of places at services as part of the NSW Government’s $10 million Start Strong Capital Works Grants program.
“Right across Tweed the NSW Government is ensuring children have access to early childhood education in the year before school,” Mr Provest said.
“These grants are vital to ensuring services in Tweed can invest in the right infrastructure to support more children in having access to early childhood education – because our kids deserve it and parents expect it.”
Minister for Early Childhood Education, Sarah Mitchell, said this funding can be used to construct new community preschools as well as expand existing services to allow for more available childcare places.
“This funding will ensure even more children right across the state will have access to early childhood education in the year before school, giving them the social, cognitive and emotional skills to transition to school as well as benefiting them in the longer term,” Mrs Mitchell said.
“We know the success of a child’s education on their last day of school is determined by their very first day of school. That’s why we’re investing in innovative approaches to improve access to quality early childhood education, no matter where you live.”
The Start Strong Capital Works Grants program is open to not-for-profit community preschools and mobile preschools operating in areas of the state where there is a demonstrated shortage of places.
Applications are now open and can be submitted online up until Friday 18 August. For more information, visit the Department of Education website at www.dec.nsw.gov.au/what-we-offer/regulation-and-accreditation/early-childhood-education-care/funding/start-strong/capital-works-grants-program
Member for Tweed, Geoff Provest today announced that pedestrians and cyclists in Tweed will benefit from an extra $520,000 for walkways and shared paths in the state budget.
The extra funds will go to building the Cudgen Creek Boardwalk in Kingscliff.
Mr Provest said the investment would make it easier than ever to get around.
“Projects like these will make a real difference to those who live, work and holiday in our community,” Mr Provest said.
An additional $44,850 has also been made available to construct 6 pedestrian facilities (kerb ramps, kerb blisters and refuges) for Tweed Heads and Kingscliff.
Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance said the funding was in addition to a massive $80 million investment in the Cycling Infrastructure Fund.
“The NSW Government is investing an unprecedented amount on active transport infrastructure, making it easier for people who walk or ride to work to do so more safely,” Mr Constance said.
“We are listening to key groups in the community, like Bicycle NSW and Bicycle Networks to prioritise, plan and extend paths all over New South Wales.”
Member for Tweed Geoff Provest today announced funding of $685,000 to rebuild The Anchorage boardwalk in Tweed Heads.
“This project will make a real difference to those who live, work and holiday in our community,” Mr Provest said.
“It not only provides a pathway for cycling, running and walking but also presents an opportunity to visit picturesque areas of river bank in comfort and safety.
“The NSW Government is investing an unprecedented amount on active transport infrastructure, making it easier for people who walk or ride in their communities and to do so more safely,” Mr Constance said.
Mr Provest said he was hopeful that funding for additional cycle ways and walkway projects in the Tweed Electorate would also be approved in the near future.
The spotlight is on the Tweed community with a new, state-of-the-art hospital to cater for the region’s growing population.
Treasurer Dominic Perrottet, Deputy Premier John Barilaro, Minister for Health Brad Hazzard and Tweed MP Geoff Provest today visited the Tweed Hospital and announced the 2017-18 Budget includes funding of up to $534 million for a new hospital in the Tweed region.
Mr Barilaro said the new hospital will greatly improve health services for the region, which is forecast to grow by more than 40 per cent to 128,000 people by 2031.
“The Tweed Shire is the latest area to benefit from the NSW Government’s pledge to enhance regional health services as part of a record hospital-building boom,” Mr Barilaro said.
Mr Perrottet said, “We’re a government that has its books in order. When you’re in a strong economic position you can reinvest in your communities and I’m delighted that the Tweed community will have a new, state-of-the-art hospital.”
Mr Hazzard said that senior clinicians consulted during the planning process and lobbying by Mr Provest helped form the decision to build a new hospital in the area, given the constraints of the current site.
“Local member Geoff Provest has been lobbying and advocating for the Tweed community and the Tweed’s nursing and medical workforce for world-class facilities,” Mr Hazzard said.
“At Geoff’s invitation I’ve met with the Medical Staff Council at Tweed Hospital to hear exactly what they need to continue delivering excellent patient care – and this new hospital will deliver just that.”
Mr Provest said: “This is fabulous news, it’s the biggest news in the Tweed in decades. It’s taken a Liberals and Nationals Government, which I am part of, to recognise the needs of the Tweed and I am so proud of what we are going to achieve here.
“A new hospital for the Tweed area means patients in our region will get a welcoming, modern facility that provides the best care for the future,” Mr Provest said.
Some highlights of the new hospital will likely include:
An Expression of Interest and site selection process to identify the most suitable site for the new hospital will commence shortly.
Over the coming months, the project team will work with staff and clinicians to understand how services will be delivered at the new hospital.
This will determine the project design and construction program, which should be finalised mid-next year.
Six young people from across NSW will have the opportunity of a lifetime to travel to historic battlefields in Greece and Israel as part of the 2017 Premier’s Anzac Ambassadors Program.
Member for Tweed Geoff Provest welcomed the launch of the program today, encouraging local high school students to take part in the essay competition.
“I encourage students from across Tweed to apply for the Premier’s Anzac Ambassadors Program for the chance of a lifetime to retrace the steps of our Anzacs who gave so much for our country,” Mr Provest said.
Minister for Veterans Affairs David Elliott said it is important for young people and students to understand and commemorate the great sacrifices the Anzacs made over 100 years ago in foreign wars and on foreign battlefields.
“This journey to key First World War battlegrounds is an opportunity for students to deepen their understanding of the events and contributions made by young men and women that shaped our nation a century ago.”
The six successful applicants will travel to Lemnos in Greece and to Israel for the centenary of the Charge of the Fourth Light Horse Brigade at Beersheba as part of a two-week tour that is sponsored by ClubsNSW.
Interested students have been asked to submit a 1000-word essay on “Why is the Centenary of Anzac important for modern Australia and what lessons are learned from the Battle of Beersheba in 1917?”
ClubsNSW CEO Anthony Ball welcomed the launch of the fourth annual Premier’s Anzac Ambassador’s Program.
“ClubsNSW is proud to play a part in keeping the legacy and spirit of Anzac alive for the next generation,” Mr Ball said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for young people to learn about the service and sacrifice made by Anzac soldiers and nurses, and to pass this knowledge onto their peers after they return home.
The tour will leave Sydney on 24 October and return home 5 November. Applications close Monday 31 July 2017. For more information about how to enter please visit www.clubsnsw.com.au/anzacambassadors